A profession is an occupation which
- Renders a service based upon advanced, specialized knowledge and skill.
- Performs its services to a large degree in the general public interest and has a substantial public obligation; and
- Is bound by a code requiring specific ethical behavior including trustworthiness and maintenance of confidential client relationships.
Professional registration gives assurance that only those persons who meet fixed educational and experience requirements may practice as registered professional engineers. Regulation is achieved in Arizona by protecting the use of the title “Professional Engineer (PE).”
You should become registered to
Establish your professional standing on the basis of legal requirements and - Receive authority to practice your profession before the public.
Arizona registration requires that the engineer
- Have at least eight (8) years of appropriate engineering experience and education and - Pass the engineer-in-training and professional engineers exam.
Students are to take the Fundamentals of Engineering (previously called the engineer-in-training) exam during their last semester at the University of Arizona. This is a requirement of students in ABE 498B which is based upon the following rationale:
- Before they forget the engineering fundamentals tested in this exam,
- While it is convenient,
- Review sessions and the exam is held are available at the UA, and
- So that students will get an “Engineer-In-Training” status certificate (if they pass), a useful addition to their résumé
The ABE department recognizes that the exam registration fee is expensive. We are fortunate that we have alumni who both value the FE exam AND understand the financial burden that the FE exam can impose. Currently, the department can help defray half the cost of the FE exam registration fee. Application form here
The exam is offered in October and April. Applications to take the exam must be submitted at least 60 days before the exam date. Applications are available from: Arizona Board of Technical Registration; 1645 W. Jefferson, Suite 140; Phoenix, Arizona 85007 (602) 255-4053